Teeth Whitening Options for a Sparkling White Smile
Teeth whitening options are plentiful and growing due to the well-documented fact that smiles are contagious and can enrich your life. A beautiful, healthy smile can improve physical health, boost your mood and lift your spirits, relieve stress, and convey a message of happiness and acceptance. Many people, however, can become very self-conscious and embarrassed to smile due to teeth that are discolored and dingy, stained, or yellowed with age.
Teeth discoloration can occur for a number of reasons including staining from tobacco use or drinking coffee or tea as well as the effects on your teeth from the natural aging process. Everyone would love to have a beautiful and healthy looking smile with bright white teeth which is why so many people have turned to teeth whitening products or have had or are considering teeth whitening procedures. There are many different teeth whitening options available today that can help you attain that gorgeous smile.
On your quest for whiter teeth, which will undoubtedly improve self-esteem, confidence and can even take years off your appearance, you should do some research and even consult with your dentist to find the right teeth whitening option for you. There are many at-home teeth whitening kits and treatments that can be purchased right at your local drug store, discount store and even some grocery stores. They have become extremely popular and can be relatively inexpensive and easy to use. But will they really give you the lasting results you are looking for? A treatment that works for one person may not be the right treatment for another depending upon the level of discoloration and the reason behind it.
Popular Teeth Whitening Options:
– Whitening toothpaste: Most every brand of toothpaste nowadays has whitening available. Whitening toothpaste will not chemically whiten teeth nor will it provide immediate, drastic results. It contains mild abrasives and may also have added polishing agents designed to help remove surface stains thereby giving teeth a lighter appearance over time.
– Teeth whitening strips: A popular and effective method of whitening that is inexpensive in comparison to professional whitening options. Teeth whitening strips are smooth on one side and the other side is coated with a gel containing peroxide that is placed on top of the teeth and worn for a specified amount of time. Repeat applications are usually needed to achieve desired results and the strips may be a little difficult to apply evenly or reach back teeth.
– Teeth whitening mouthwash: Mouthwash has also taken its place in the line-up of over the counter teeth whitening options. The labeling is its most enticing feature claiming it is an easy way to whiten teeth; however, the hydrogen peroxide and mild acids present in a whitening mouthwash are designed to help dissolve surface stains but will not effectively penetrate teeth to allow for true whitening.
– Teeth whitening pens: A small, easy-to-use, whitening product that can be used on the go anytime, anywhere. The pen contains a gel which is virtually painted onto your teeth in a thin layer. Like any other whitener, it does have its drawbacks because it can be difficult to apply evenly and the gel can easily come off the tooth after application without anything to hold it in place.
– Teeth whitening kiosks: Kiosks in the mall offer a teeth whitening treatment for consumers. It is typically a paint-on process using a gel containing carbamide. These kiosks are not regulated and usually have operators who are not health-trained individuals are delivering the whitening treatment.
These teeth whitening options are among the most common used by consumers looking for a quick and inexpensive way to have that sparkling white smile. Results and effectiveness can vary greatly and are typically inconsistent and temporary. Patience is a virtue when it comes to teeth whitening on your own because repeat applications are almost always needed and may or may not provide desired results.
Greeley Teeth Whitening Options to Consider
Teeth whitening options that are more effective and give longer lasting results than the previous methods mentioned are offered by your dentist. According to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, teeth whitening procedures are the number one requested cosmetic dentistry procedure.
– Laser teeth whitening: An aggressive whitening procedure performed by your dentist that is highly effective and will give you beautiful results. The unique teeth whitening formula used combined with the heat and the light delivered by the laser, provides dramatic results in a very short time. Several sessions may be required due to the severity of the discoloration of the teeth and it is also the most expensive teeth whitening option with costs ranging anywhere between $500 and $2,500.
– Custom bleaching trays: Custom trays are molded from an impression of your teeth to fit only your mouth. These trays hold the whitening gel and are then applied to your teeth for a perfect fit which will give even coverage of the gel on your teeth. The tray material is typically very thin and can easily be worn anytime of the night or day. Better quality gels with higher concentrations of peroxide provide quicker results and the use of desensitizing agents help to minimize irritation and allow for a more comfortable process.
The teeth whitening options listed are in no way an all-inclusive list as there are many different treatments to consider. When deciding which method is right for you doing your homework will be a huge help. A beautiful smile may be your goal but it is important to understand which options are safe and effective and will give you the longest lasting result within your budget.
I’m Scott Williams and I practice family and cosmetic dentistry in Greeley CO while also serving the Eaton, Evans, Windsor, and Kersey CO areas. For professional Greeley teeth whitening results you’ll be proud of, contact my dental practice below. We look forward to hearing from you.
Greeley, CO 80634